The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Hiding from Immortals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Hiding from Immortals Reply with quote

I've been trying to do some work on my MUD lately, but the builders and scripters always want to chat about nothing. I resolved to be wizi 100, but the savvy imms saw that I was still on the laston, so I used lastonremove and wizi 100.
When I want to do this after I've logged in, however, there is a problem with the lacking "left the realm" messages. I tried to get around this by doing a gecho, but an imm of level 97 saw on QUEST notifications that it was a gecho.
My question is how can my Imm 100 actions be seen and monitored by lower level staff? Is there a way to change this?

Thanks, guys.

Daos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -

Set your status to wizi 100 and incog 100. That will make you virtually invisible to everyone level 99 and lower.

On a side note, your staff is your team. If your team gets the impression that you want to remain invisible from them, you are going to create an involuntary rift between yourself and them. If you are starting out, the most important thing you should do is to get to know your staff and get to know how they work. Simply going into hiding mode is not going build their faith in you or the game if you are the mud owner/leader.

If you really have a lot of work to do, and they are simply chit chatting which is serving nothing more than a distraction, simply be polite and explain to them that you have a lot to do and can't talk. Trust me, honesty will take you a lot further than silence.

http://www.dawnoftime.org
TGS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a very old thread but I've been actively using DoT as a playground and I've had a few visitors and staff over the last few years and I came up against this problem and while Daos is completely correct if you do have especially overzealous staff members who see you as top dog and don't take the hint and you can't seem to get through to them you can do what I did and modify the laston command code so that it can affect Immortals the same way as it can affect players. Then if your immortal doesn't take the hint simply reduce their laston. Then they won't be able to tell that you are on or not as it will say you've been on in the last two days.

By the way, apologies for necroing the old thread but I figured I'd put the code modification in to help anyone that might run up against this if there are still any people using DoT.

Go to line 2501~ of laston.cpp and/or search for
Code:
!GAMESETTING2(GAMESET2_USE_LASTON_IMM_VALUE

Move down to the next line if
Code:
(IS_IMMORTAL(ch)){
and change it to
Code:
if (IS_IMMORTAL(ch) && (!IS_SET(ch->comm,COMM_REDUCED_LASTON))){

Now you can use reducelaston on anyone including immortals. It would be a much more effective way of stopping them from trying to bother other immortals who might be hiding. I would suggest trying Daos' method first and foremost though of course.

Br0k30n3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daos wrote:

On a side note, your staff is your team. If your team gets the impression that you want to remain invisible from them, you are going to create an involuntary rift between yourself and them. If you are starting out, the most important thing you should do is to get to know your staff and get to know how they work. Simply going into hiding mode is not going build their faith in you or the game if you are the mud owner/leader.

If you really have a lot of work to do, and they are simply chit chatting which is serving nothing more than a distraction, simply be polite and explain to them that you have a lot to do and can't talk. Trust me, honesty will take you a lot further than silence..

This is true as a owner in any business. If you hide from your staff and alienate yourself, chances are that it will have a snowball effect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Coding All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: