The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Ubuntu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N1369

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Ubuntu Reply with quote

Not sure if this should go here or elsewhere...

Was doing some work with one of the DOT versions on a win7 comp, some unrelated issues lead to loss of the entire HDD and lack of funds for a new windows OS has lead me to use Ubuntu.

Now that that part is explained here is my question.. what would be a good option for me to use to continue coding? I prefer something that works similar to how the programing software i was using before works with being able to do things without learning a lot of new commands but if there is nothing of that sort than i will take what i can get.

My process of coding, in case it helps, is: I code on the comp, upload changed files, compile on server, fix errors the server compile alerts me to, and repeat til i get it clean.

Daos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Reply with quote

N1369 wrote:
Not sure if this should go here or elsewhere...

Was doing some work with one of the DOT versions on a win7 comp, some unrelated issues lead to loss of the entire HDD and lack of funds for a new windows OS has lead me to use Ubuntu.

Now that that part is explained here is my question.. what would be a good option for me to use to continue coding? I prefer something that works similar to how the programing software i was using before works with being able to do things without learning a lot of new commands but if there is nothing of that sort than i will take what i can get.

My process of coding, in case it helps, is: I code on the comp, upload changed files, compile on server, fix errors the server compile alerts me to, and repeat til i get it clean.

You can download Visual Studios for Ubuntu at this link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=534108

1. Extract it: unzip VSCode-linux-x64.zip -d ~/path/to/VSCode
2. Run the Code executable to open Visual Studio Code

(Optional) Create a symbolic link to conveniently run code from the terminal:

sudo ln -s /path/to/VSCode/Code /usr/local/bin/code

Also make sure that you are root while extracting files and then allow rwx permissions for the extracted files to desired user.

Furthermore, if you have your Windows 7 product key - go to the following website for a software recovery:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

http://www.dawnoftime.org
Jimerson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the step-by-step explanation Daos. I wasn't sure how to install.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Getting Started All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: