The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Suggestion for upcoming Version,

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patories

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for upcoming Version, Reply with quote

Not sure if this is already part of the code or not, I cant find the information if it is. Does Dawn have, or is thinking of implementing a Concurrent Version System?

as my coder explained it to me:

'it'd help a lot when there's multiple coders working on the code, as when someone changes something, it'd update to a common root, with version numbering and so on, and if someone fucks up real bad, it'd be just couple commands in shell to return the code to some previous working base.'

so does Dawn have it or will it be having it in the future??

Imp of Shattered Illusions--Talislanta RPG
Karthos.genesismuds.com 1381

Novice Developer for KDAV Systems

"So you're saying I put down my sword and you put down your rock and we kill eachother like civilized men?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pharazon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVS is nothing to do with dawn, its source code management.

If you're running a *nix backend, you will no doubt have CVS already installed. Typing 'man cvs' at the shell prompt will give you a brief rundown on what it is and how it works.

Failing that, try to obtain the latest sources for CVS from http://cvshome.org, along with some documentation which should allow you to implement it yourself.

P.

patories

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my coder informed me what type of newbie I really am.....

*sighs* I really need a better understand of this before I jumped in......
then again if I waited for that I would have had so much fun looking like an idiot.... Laughing

Imp of Shattered Illusions--Talislanta RPG
Karthos.genesismuds.com 1381

Novice Developer for KDAV Systems

"So you're saying I put down my sword and you put down your rock and we kill eachother like civilized men?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pharazon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, no need to feel like an idiot - after all, the best way to learn things is to ask about them!

P.

Brangor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool finaly got registered this account Very Happy

Anyway ... I have idea what to add for new version of code .. well atleast what i would like to see in it Wink

How about Room and Object programs Question

anyway that was what i wanted to say now .. perphaps more later Very Happy

Brangor

Daos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There most likely will not be a release of object progs or room progs for 1.69r due to another project underway that far surpasses those features.

- Daos

Veshirak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any hint as to what this surpassing feature will entail? i've been trying to add oprogs and rprogs to DOT, and it's a royal pain in the ass, so it'd be great if there was an option to handle it without having to add it in.

Sarolite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with rprogs. What can an rprog do that an unseen mobile with an mprog can't? Rooms don't have an inventory, so that limits their token, oloading, giving capabilities. They're basically nothing more than transfers and echos.

An unseen mobile, on the other hand, can do anything. My favorite so far, an elevator system based on unseen mobiles triggered on the command "push 1" and so on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unfortunately, I cannot give out any pre-release or project information in regards to Dawn. Oprog development itself is tedious involving two types of obj_data structures and I would not recommend doing it unless you have a backup of your code running.

- Daos

Kalahn
Codebase Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier, rprogs can be achieved using an unseen mob in the room (unseen = means setting the unseen act flag). This method is either as flexible or more flexible than a rprog implementation.

Oprogs weren't planned for Dawn in that form as Daos has mentioned... the reason for this is because I have looking at embedding a scripting language. Originally I was looking at TCL, but my current thinking is that Python might be a better choice. Having said that, this will not be in the R release, as it would further delay R which is already taken a long time.

Currently I am rewriting the network IO code from scratch to support IPv4 and IPv6 concurrently while retaining backward compatibility with machines only supporting IPv4. For those who don't know IPv4 is what the Internet currently uses for addresses, each address is 32 bits and is often written in the form a.b.c.d. (e.g. "192.168.87.96"), IPv6 is the next generation of Internet addressing which will start to become mainstream in the next 5 years. Addresses are 128 bits and are written in a hexidecimal form (e.g. "3ffe:805::2d0:b7ff:fee8:c4d9"). Even though this work is delaying the 1.69R release, I think it is important and worth while in the long term. It is very likely that some won't upgrade to releases beyond 1.69R... if I didn't put in IPv6 support now, in the distant future when users of 1.69R who haven't followed updates need to start using IPv6, they will have a large task to implement IPv6 support themselves. I expect it will be beyond a number of those implementors.

- Kal

Sarolite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalahn wrote:
It is very likely that some won't upgrade to releases beyond 1.69R... if I didn't put in IPv6 support now, in the distant future when users of 1.69R who haven't followed updates need to start using IPv6, they will have a large task to implement IPv6 support themselves. I expect it will be beyond a number of those implementors.

- Kal

Absolutely. Thanks for looking out for us rookies. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Suggestions All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: