The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

OS X to Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Migration/Porting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archiel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: OS X to Linux Reply with quote

Okay, 1.69r comes out and I download a copy to our redhat linux mud host. It works great, all is well.
Cool, so I download a copy of r to my OS X machine, and build it. It works great too! Then I figure that I'll add the old RoA code (fishing, etc..) to 1.69r. I do this on my OS X machine, cause I can work faster that way. (no uploading files, sshing in, building it, fixing the bugs, reloading.. etc...)
I also copy over the pfiles and areas other than dawn.are. I copy the contents of the system folder except the language stuff since that changed. I remove the languages from two files. After all this, the mud works just fine off my OS X computer.

Now, I tar it up and send it to the server. I do a new configure and a make clean and build. This works... but the resolver doesn't work. Of course, I need to redo that, so I make cleanall and make resetconfig and do it over. Can't hurt, I figure.

Now... The resolver still doesn't work and very oddly mudstat reports:
-= Dawn v1.69r based mud on rn088035.mrs.umn.edu was last compiled on Feb 4 2004 at 00:06:38 (c++ build)=-

But it isn't running on my computer at school, it's on the linux host!! Plus it has a mysterious crash problem with no useful messages in the logs. I was gonna do a core dump but ulimit -a reported the core file size to be zero. Now that i've changed it via ulimit -c 100000, the mud hasn't crashed.... but the resolver still doesn't work.

Any enlightenment? If not i'll just keep deleteing stuff till it works.
BTW, we have added lots of things to the skills.txt and have 126 races and lots of classes, so I'd like to preserve that data.

Kalahn
Codebase Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now... The resolver still doesn't work and very oddly mudstat reports: -= Dawn v1.69r based mud on rn088035.mrs.umn.edu was last compiled on Feb 4 2004 at 00:06:38 (c++ build)=-

When you transfer it, don't transfer gameset.txt... as this stores the gamename. I suspect the resolver isn't working either cause you transfered the resolver which was compiled for os x and it hasn't been recompiled for Linux (delete it and rerun make).

You should only transfer the source, system, data, areas and helps.

Try something along the following:
Code:

cd src
make clean
cd ..
tar czvf transferfiles.tgz src system data area help

Then send over transferfiles.tgz to the new box.

Once on the new box, uncompress (tar -xzvf transferfiles.tgz), rerun the configure script (cd src/configure;./configure), then recompile using make.

Btw, I got the resolver working on your os-x on 31Jan04 the day before the release. The problem was related to how os-x treats vfork vs fork. Hotreboot doesn't work on os-x at this stage though.

Regarding using ulimit, I recommend "ulimit -a" to view what your limit settings are, and "ulimit -c unlimited" to enable core files regardless of the size. Follow this by "ulimit -a" to confirm the command was accepted. On a side note, I am considering integrateing "ulimit -c unlimited" into the dawn binary. If you still don't get cores they may be disabled at the os level, so you could try running the dawn binary from within gdb ("gdb dawn" followed by "run 3421 -f" to start on port 3421). The -f keeps dawn 1.69r running in the foreground and logging to the screen as well as the log file (dawn --help for more on the commandline options).

The format of skills.txt is unchanged between 1.69q and 1.69r.

Regarding looking for logging information,
tail dawnlogs.txt
Which will be in the format:
Quote:
[7216] Sun Feb 01 00:01:05 :: dawn logging to logs\game\4000-040201-01.log

where the 7216 is the process id in "ps -ef".

Use the tail command to (tail -n 400 logs\game\4000-040201-01.log) to get an idea of what happened prior to shutdown.

Hope these notes help, there is a lot of new stuff in r which in my opinion is pretty cool, but just takes a little relearning.

- Kal

Archiel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers Kal,
I might have been unclear on the logging, I did find the logs (I like the setup better now, logging by date to a folder) but all I would see were the lastcommands and the nasty_signal_handler. No indication of what was actually wrong.

I figured out to delete gameset.txt so it would reset correctly, I saw that it stored the name there. I also figured that make cleanall would get the resolver:

cleanall:
rm -f ../dawn
rm -f ../resolver

But anyway, I started with a fresh 1.69r and copied in those directories, plus player. I added our 3 files to the makefile..

And..... the resolver works!!! Thanks!

I assume these errors mean to take stuff out of the following tables:
Code:

:: Reading in command table from system/commands.txt...
:: [*****] BUG: UNKNOWN COMMAND IN 'system/commands.txt'
---------- Found 'arcaic' expecting a known command name
---------- Found 'reverse' expecting a known command name
---------- Found 'sdrop' expecting a known command name
---------- Found 'sget' expecting a known command name
<SNIP>
:: Finished reading commandtable. (read in 815)
:: Reading in command categories and positions from system/com_cats.txt...
:: [*****] BUG: UNKNOWN COMMAND IN 'system/com_cats.txt'
---------- Found 'arcaic' expecting a known command name
:: [*****] BUG: UNKNOWN COMMAND IN 'system/com_cats.txt'
---------- Found 'reverse' expecting a known command name
<SNIP>
---------- Found 'manual_colour_convert' expecting a known command

Errors like these undoubtably occur because it's not in skills.txt
Code:

:: Detected 'blacksmithery' not in prescan, but in dyntable - added.

On a side note... I'm not entirely sure what files we should have modified when adding our new skills and the associated commands... I think we didn't add them to skills.txt because that file is dynamically generated... right?
We did add them:
Code:

interp.cpp,
   { "fish",          do_fish,         POS_STANDING,   0,   LOG_NORMAL,    1 }, //archiel

interp.h,
DECLARE_DO_FUN( do_fish);            // Archiel

gsn.h, and
EXTERN  sh_int  gsn_fishing; //archiel

dyntable.cpp
   { "fish",                 DYNTYPE_SKILL, &gsn_fishing },

In hindsight I probably also added:
skills.txt:
######NAME       fish~
===skill_level
mage             1
cleric           1
thief            1
warrior          1 
druid            1
paladin          1
ranger           1
barbarian        1
spellfilcher     1
royal_blood      1
/
===rating
mage             2
cleric           2
thief            2
warrior          2
druid            2
paladin          2
ranger           2
barbarian        2   
spellfilcher     2
royal_blood      2
/
Position        standing~
Beats            24
Flags           teach_spgain level_spgain study_spgain~
Category        skunset~
Type            skill~
Damtype         none~
END

So, add the other skills to skills.txt like those? Or is that done in some editor? Use comedit to remove the bad entries from the comtable?

Other than these minor things, I think conversion was very smooth, thanks a lot!!

Andy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Migration/Porting All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: