The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Dawn 1.69S Beta3/Final Release?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » 1.69s Beta3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyrian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Dawn 1.69S Beta3/Final Release? Reply with quote

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone was more up-to-date than I am on the next release of Dawn 1.69S. I try to keep up with all new posts but that doesn't work all the time. I know the current beta release was scheduled to expire on November 7, 2006 but I havenít heard anything in regard to another beta release or the final release.

-- Zyrian

Moderator (of death!!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be released when it's ready.

Zyrian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I got that part Confused I was hoping to know if anyone had heard anything in regard to WHAT will be released when it is ready. I guess I should have worded that a bit more clear. Should I be looking forward to another beta release or no?

-- Zyrian

Moderator (of death!!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry.

As far as I know, there will not be another beta release, it will be the final S release.

I have no idea when that will be, though.

Zyrian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -

Quote:
if anyone had heard anything in regard to WHAT will be released when it is ready

Hiya -

On a speculative level, more than likely - the validated bug reports and fixes from 1.69r will be implemented into 1.69s if it hasn't already been done so already (ie. a submission of a late bug report w/ a fix already included in 1.69s)

Other than that & the 2 changes made in BETA2, that will probably be the extent of the 1.69s final release since there hasn't been a grand level of comments/reports in the 1.69s BETA forums in regards to testing from the win32 binary release.

If anything was missed, I'm certain a 1.69s bug reports forums will be added for 1.69t Wink

http://www.dawnoftime.org
certordin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Hummmm.. Reply with quote

I am glad to be back using dot again. However, since the beta2 is expired and normal players cannot log it, what do we do?
Cert
P.s. Has anyone heard from Kalahn lately? Is he ok?

Tristan
Moderator (of death!!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get it from someone who downloaded it, or wait for the release.

Kalahn is fine, he just doesn't have the time to devote to DoT that he used to.

Daos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Being the fact Dawn has been in development since 1997, publically in development since Jan. 2001 - its understandable how anyone would need a break. Plus, from my own personal experience - as our own lives evolve offline - it does grow harder to appropiate and divide time between one's own priorities/obligations and something else that is basically a hobbyist development.

certordin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristan wrote:
You can get it from someone who downloaded it, or wait for the release.

Well, that is ok by me then. I was concerned about Kalahn too. He seems to be a nice person. I can wait as long as it takes. Very Happy

Cert

watcher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hummmm.. Reply with quote

certordin wrote:
I am glad to be back using dot again. However, since the beta2 is expired and normal players cannot log it, what do we do?
Cert
P.s. Has anyone heard from Kalahn lately? Is he ok?

Thats a good question. I just downloaded the beta 2 system and its not allowing players to log it. From scanning the public messages, i dont see a message from Kalahn since say Sept. Has work on this code base stopped for now? Will it ever start back up? Please give us a clue as to what to expect. Is it likely that S will be released before 2007? A message from Kalahn himself would be nice to see. I hear that he is busy but no posts for almost 4 months? Thats busy.

The Watcher

Daos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From scanning the public messages, i dont see a message from Kalahn since say Sept.

Laughing Kalahn isn't married to these boards. There are enough members in this community to keep these forums sustained.

Quote:
Has work on this code base stopped for now? Will it ever start back up?

Code base is still being worked on. There are still reports being filed in regards to 1.69r bugs & 1.69s beta bugs.

Quote:
Is it likely that S will be released before 2007?

If you read the Dawn user license for 1.69r, it suggests the license is good until the end of 2006. It is likely 1.69s will be released after 2007 to support the new license agreement.

Quote:
A message from Kalahn himself would be nice to see. I hear that he is busy but no posts for almost 4 months? Thats busy.

Heh - Kal will be in contact with everyone when he is ready. There was a period between February '06 and June '06 that I was not in contact with anyone within DS or the Dawn community due to -offline- circumstances. Regarding 1.69s-BETA2 - I would just run 1.69r (without making a crude number of changes - easier this way for upgrading) if you are wanting players and upgrade to 1.69s after its official release (then apply your changes).

Kalahn
Codebase Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still alive, just a lot going on, so haven't had much time for mud related things of late.

I do have some positive news though, I have spent some time resolving some issues with the new queuing system in 1.69s over the last few days, and believe things are at the point of being ready to release a beta of the source in the next few days - currently aiming before this Wednesday!

In terms of what is in S, the change log which came with the beta 1 and beta 2 releases basically has the main bits... I might through in a few extras in the final release - undecided at this stage.

The main big visible feature is object progs with queued events... I admit that this release could have been implemented quicker if I had been working on dawn like I have in the past, but I can definately say the release will be worth upgrading to even if you had put a lot of work into your mud based on 1.69r.
I have done some significant changes to the code at a deep structural level which may mean upgrading could be involved - taking 1.69s (when it is finally released) and implementing your changes into it may be the best option for some of you. The most significant change to the internals is the introduction of a new class entity_data, char_data and obj_data are now decendants of entity_data - obj_data is now therefore a class also. Queuing is now implemened at the "entity" level, not the mob level - therefore only one set of code is required to handling queuing events for objects and mobs.

In terms of my todo list, I still have a few things, the most substantial being:
1.need to make queued events on objects save to pfile when a user logs out
2.need to make mob queued events save across hotreboots
3.pause queued events when going into ooc rooms?
4.save queued events for pets?
5.object skill affects needs rewriting?

I am unsure if I will doing these before the S release. At this stage I am pretty sure that #5 is out of the mix, unless someone else wants to do it. I wrote a post some time back with what is wrong with the current system. I am looking for a very short time between beta and full release.

I also need to integrate all the outstanding bug fixes, and want to give the oportunity for any other bugs to be found/resolved including those within the area files.

I will post further details and advice regarding patching approach/if to wait/patch till main release etc.

Happy new year to all,

- Kal

Ramuh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! news! Thankies Kalahn!

Umm beyond that.. how hard is it to upgrade? I mean like is it a massive overhaul in general or is it only going to change like 10 or 20 files? Just curious... I've nothing major coded in that I can't lose cept an intro screen and wizlist customization and stuff.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -

Upgrading to a newer updated source depends on the level of custom updates you have done with your MUD that are not part of the parent dawn code. In my experience, the more you do, the more time consuming it is. My best advice is to mark your work. Leave a repetative comment with each addition you make like below:

Code:
// Darksun Addition

This way, its easier to do a text based search on all the actual changes you have made, and you can simply patch in the work into the unmodified parent source code. Of course, before doing this - always back up your work before the patch job begins. Also - make your own source files. If you code in new commands, its easier to have your new command code in seperate non-dawn source files. This way, its less patch work in the dawn-src files.

Example:

act_wiz3.cpp - DS file for DS-added imm-commands
act_comm2.cpp - DS file for DS-added commands

This rule also applies to skill & spell files.

Throughout the last 6 1/2 yrs I have used the parent dawn code, I have developed many methods to make patching easier as dawn became more complex to patch with each new addition I was making to DS. The last nightmare update was 1.69r - which consisted a years worth of development from 1.69q - so I can only imagine what 1.69s is going to be like (grins).

Everyone has their own method of patching - my method in which is time consuming is the easiest and most accurate in my humble opinion.

Ramuh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright... this should be interesting. Very Happy more to learn of course.
don't take this the wrong way but it's too bad we couldn't get an upgrade version whis is lay'd out more like multiple snippits I realise this isn't viable though but one could wish can we not?

Thanks for the info Big D! As always your helpful.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -

Quote:
don't take this the wrong way but it's too bad we couldn't get an upgrade version whis is lay'd out more like multiple snippits I realise this isn't viable though but one could wish can we not?

The problem with that is the high probability of people installing/patching the "multiple snippets" incorrectly, and then reporting said errors as dawn related errors when in fact, it is likely user-end errors. Additionally, when you are dealing with a high level of updates in a parent source code update - what is the point of breaking it down into snippets? It actually would take up more time for the distributor designing the code to break the entire update into snippet files, and more time for the person downloading the file to make all the inclusions in the correct places and debug afterwards.

The optimal route is to download the fresh parent src, and make your own additions to the unmodified source using methods I have suggested in the abovementioned thread.

Kalahn
Codebase Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just testing the code on a few platforms, should post in the next hour or so.

- Kal

Ramuh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome awesome awesome Kalahn I 'd personally like to thank you for all the hard work you've put into designing this wonderful codebase and keeping us up to date. As far as I know you get no contributions in return and do a lot of hard work. It's something to be congratulated for as far as I'm concerned.

BTW... reason for this post is simple.... thanks for the update on when releasing. I'll be paying attention to the forums for the release.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » 1.69s Beta3 All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: