The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

race skills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Configuration/Online Editing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramuh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: race skills Reply with quote

Ok I'm partway through a large project for my mud, and something hit me as a stupid possibility that I hadn't taken into consideration.

Basically I've just a question. I'd just like to find out from someone who knows.

If you set a racial skill (for instance alaghi have hand to hand) does a character of that race get the skill regardless of class? ex: mage in my mud gets no hand to hand, would a alaghi mage still have the hand to hand skill that it's racially set with?

I'd rather not finish my project then have to backtrak a ton of work to correct a presumption on my part.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills are set through the "class" command. So it would be hard for a character to gain the skill regardless of class. You set skills/spells through the class command, then set racial restrictions through sedit.

http://www.dawnoftime.org
Ramuh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, I don't think that that is really what I'm asking Daos. In raceedit there is a section for racial skills. This section I believe was designed to give certain races a skill such as draconian gaining the claw skill regardless of their class. My question is just that if the skill isn't set for a class would a character gain access to the skill because of this set skill within raceedit?

If not then what's the point of setting racial skills within raceedit?
Smile

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -

You have to set the skill in the class if you want it accessible by the race.

By using the race restriction option in sedit, you restrict any players -not- of that particular race from acquiring that skill or spell of that class.

By using the skill add|remove option in raceedit, you are granting the player the ability to start off with the skill in their gain list when they create a character.

ie... claw skill is set on all classes - the claw skill also is set in sedit & raceedit for draconians to prevent players not of the race specified from acquring claw and allowing the players to start off with the claw skill in their gain list.

sedit - use this to set race restrictions.
raceedit - use this to apply racial skills for the character to naturally start with after creation.

If you use sedit w/o raceedit, the racial skill will be in the gain list, the player will simply not start off with the skill.

Ramuh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough, I've got that part now. And that works rgeat for skills that have no bearing on classes at all (ie claw, vanish, etc..) but what about skills that certain classes would normally get? Like the alaghi example.

Hand to hand isn't a common skill to all classes however, I'd like the alaghi to be able to gain it in any class they choose (or start with it at 1% whichever doesn't matter) the alaghi part however shoul dhave no bearing on wether a human fighter would be able to gain it or the fact that a mrem mage wouldn't be able to. How can I do this?

I think I may be just not understanding... if that's so then just say such and I'll keep trying to wrap my brain around it.. after my small coding break over the weekend. I've been going nearly non-stop for a few weeks now and feel like maybe I'm just starting to get things muddled in my head.

Either way, thanks a bunch for the replys D.

Daos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hand to hand isn't a common skill to all classes however, I'd like the alaghi to be able to gain it in any class they choose (or start with it at 1% whichever doesn't matter) the alaghi part however shoul dhave no bearing on wether a human fighter would be able to gain it or the fact that a mrem mage wouldn't be able to. How can I do this?

You can use sedit to set multiple race restrictions as shown below:

Dawn Output:
Skill Name: hand to hand
Prestige Points: 0    (required points to acquire skill/spell)
Category:      (undefined spdefensive spdefensive_enhancement
     spoffensive_enhancement spoffensive_spell sparea spenchantment
     sphealing spmovement spcreation spinformation spmisc realm sphere
     season sklanguage skweapon skoffensive_combat skdefensive_combat
     skhealing skmovement skmagic skmiscellaneous skdefault psion schemata)
DamType:       (none bash pierce slash fire cold lightning acid poison
     negative  holy energy mental disease drowning light other harm charm
     sound illusion)
Flags:         [never_learnt_by_leveling must_be_set_to_get teach_spgain
     level_spgain study_spgain no_pctarget no_npctarget renamable
     no_interclass_teach new_improve_system no_gain
     no_negative_hp_at_affectoff magical_antipathy no_scribe no_prac
     spec_class_only]
Position:      (dead sleeping resting sitting kneeling fighting standing)
Skill Wearoff Message: !Hand to Hand!
Position: fighting
Mana: 0
Beats: 0
Noun Damage: none
Race restriction: elf goblin human can get it.
Type: skill(not settable)
Component: No
MSP:       none

[NESW in Spell/SkillEdit vhand to hand dawn.are - 15:10:27 - 3:05pm]

As you can see, this is set so only the elf, goblin, & human race can acquire the skill. I really don't know how else to explain this Ramuh. Making certain skills/spells available to certain classes or races depends on how you use the class command & the sedit olc interface.

Here is an example of a skill below:

Dawn Output:
class thief 'steal' 85 5 1

(I just set the steal skill to be attainable at lvl 85 at the cost of 5 trains.)
Dawn Output:
sedit steal

(I am now dynamically editing the steal skill and will edit the racial restrictions.)

Dawn Output:
racerestrict mrem

Dawn Output:
racerestrict human

Dawn Output:
racerestrict goblin

(I have set racial restrictions in sedit to only allow mrems, goblins, & humans to be able to acquire the steal skill.)

Dawn Output:
raceedit mrem

(I will be editing the mrem race and adding the skill to their race skill list.)

Dawn Output:
skill add steal

(I have added the steal skill to the mrem race. The mrem race will be the only race that will start with the steal skill at 1% since I did not set the skill in raceedit for humans or goblins.)

Final result:

Only human, goblin, & mrem thieves can acquire the steal skill, while mrems can start off with the skill at 1%. All other thieves not of the designated race established in sedit will not be able to acquire the steal skill.

I hope this clarifies your inquiry. Good luck.

boblinski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Only human, goblin, & mrem thieves can acquire the steal skill, while mrems can start off with the skill at 1%. All other thieves not of the designated race established in sedit will not be able to acquire the steal skill.

Will Mrems start with the 'steal' skill at 1%.. even though you set the 'steal' skill to be attainable at level 85???

Ramuh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while it's been a while since I've seen this topic, to answer your question, Yes, I do believe that mrems would start lvl 1 at 1% steal while the other two races get have access to it at lvl 85. I could be wrong though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Configuration/Online Editing All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: