The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Setting Up a Panel Launcher or as a Startup Application

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saerain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Setting Up a Panel Launcher or as a Startup Application Reply with quote

I'm new to Linux for the sake of experimenting with this, so bear with me.

Whilst I can run the Dawn executable through a terminal with ./dawn or through the file browser, adding it to the panel as a launcher or to Startup Applications has no effect that I can see in System Monitor.

I'm sure that I'm unaware of something simple.

The location is /home/ArdenMUD/dot/dawn, and that is what the panel launcher shows when the executable is dragged to the panel, but it does not satisfy it....

derek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason why it's failing is because the mud is looking for it's config files in your home directory (or maybe your desktop directory...really doesn't matter in the end.)

the simple solution to what you are trying to do is to write a shell script to start the mud and put it in your home directory, something like this:

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/ArdenMUD/dot
./dawn &

create a text file named startdawn.sh and put those three lines in it. change the path to the base directory of your mud, if necessary. after you save this file, run 'chmod 700 startdawn.sh' to make it executable, and then change the path in the properties of your icon to this shell script.

the reason why this works is because the shell script is executing 'dawn' within the base directory, so it see all the config files, etc.

Blackout

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: More... Reply with quote

I wanted to add a little more useful information/exposition-Not because I think Derek didn't cover it since he did, and beautifully--but rather because having been new to linux before, I know a lot of the concepts involved are counterintuitive when you're used to Windows.

In Windows, we get used to running applications from wherever they are (via shortcuts or double-clicking the exe files or any other number of methods) and never worrying about if it's placed right. This is because Windows assumes when you run an application, you mean for the application to do its work from wherever the exe is located. When you run game.exe, Windows knows you want game.exe to get to work starting from game.exe's folder.

Linux does not make this assumption. It assumes that wherever you call a program from, that's where you want to program to do its work. Therefore, if you call a program from your desktop, unless you do the sorts of steps Derek describes, it runs the program as if it is located in your desktop's folder. It assumes that you know it's doing this and that there is some reason why you want that to be the case. This isn't a huge issue except in cases like this when the program's external resources are located somewhere specific, and it can't find them because it isn't from running where it's expecting to.

Hope that longwinded exposition saves you some future linux and DoT grief:)

The Third Turning Mud -- Wheel of Time Reimagined
tangent.dune.net 5600
Shaitan, Owner/Head Implementor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Getting Started All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: