The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Some newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demodog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Some newbie questions Reply with quote

Okay I managed to get the server running on my comp and can connect to it and play. Wow finally my own MUD Smile

So I have some questions:

1. How do I creat a OLC account? The one I made dont have access to the online edit commands.
2. How do I start from scrath with just one room and then start building rooms next to it?
3. How do I define which room to use as start room for players?
4. Does the program support swedish characters, едц? Can I change commands like "look" to swedish word "titta"?

Many thanks to anyone who got the time to answer this while I try reading helpsites for info.

Demodog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I manage to creat an admin character with OCL level 9.

But how the heck do I start making a new area with some new rooms and how do i get new characters to start from there after creating process?

Daos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demodog wrote:
Okay I manage to creat an admin character with OCL level 9.

But how the heck do I start making a new area with some new rooms and how do i get new characters to start from there after creating process?

Hello,

Now that you have established your OLC security, you are going to be using a variety of OLC commands to build new areas. The aedit command will create your area file, and the commands redit, medit, and oedit control your room, mobile, and object creation and editing.

Dawn comes equipped with a wonderful library of help files involving OLC. Now that you have your MUD up and running and you are ready to start the building process, you should take the time to read the olc related helps.

Typing helpcat olc will work as a filter to quickly locate necessary helps for what you are looking for.

If you need to change the room the player start in, you need to use the gameedit editor and change the starttelnet value to be the appropriate room vnum.

Regarding changing everything from English to Swedish. You can do this with the exception of a general limitation. If you are intending on having a purely Swedish player base, you can write all the room descriptions of each area in Swedish as well as rewrite all existing help files in Swedish (given their MUD clients have multilingual support). However, in terms of translation of commands and general output by the game itself with messages, alerts, etc...that would require a rewrite of the code base. In short, because the code base was written in English, it is going to project English. Now, if you have all the time in the world, you could go through about 300 some odd source files and rewrite it to be Swedish input/output - but it may be more hassle for you than its worth.

Good luck.

http://www.dawnoftime.org
Kalahn
Codebase Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The codebase supports extended ascii by default - so those specific characters you mention are supported. Gamesetting3
GAMESET3_DISABLE_EXTENDED_ASCII_CHARACTERS can disable this support - no doubt you haven't touched this.

Supporting using other "words" to do commands such as look is definately possible.
The simpliest way is to add multiple aliases that do the same thing.

To do so, search in interp.cpp for
Code:
{ "look",         do_look,         POS_RESTING,   0,   LOG_NORMAL,    1 },

Paste a copy of that line, and change the "look" text to in double quotes to "titta".

e.g.
Code:
{ "look",         do_look,         POS_RESTING,   0,   LOG_NORMAL,    1 },
{ "titta",         do_look,         POS_RESTING,   0,   LOG_NORMAL,    1 },

This approach will allow both "look" at "titta" to be used for looking.

This table tends to be alphabetically sorted, but doesn't need to be.

In short how it works is when you type a command, the interpret() function is passed the users input. interpret() searches this table top down till it finds a match. The word on the far left is what it searches for, the second parameter is the function which is called when it finds a match. If no match, you get the "Huh?" output.

Technically you could just remove any english listing, but this would then make it unfriendly to english players. Alternatively, depending on your skill level you could extend the table to support a concept of language - so each language uses only a subset of the table.

Good luck,

- Kal

Demodog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks alot! That was exactly what I was looking for! Seems like I have found the right place Smile

I have another question

When i use colours in game and move into a new room the prompt is not showed. And when I press enter I see two prompts so it seems the first one is there but I cant see it until i hit enter again.

If i play without colours it works as it should. What may be the problem?

derek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding 1) you need to toggle the 'olconly' off in aedit (you can either feed aedit the area number or just do 'aedit .' if you want to edit the area you are currently in.)

I'm afraid I've no idea what's going on there with your second question.

Demodog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is pretty strange, perhaps its a bug since im using the prebuilt windows exe file and perhaps its not in the newest version you compile yourself which i will be doing too soon...

Demodog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bug went away when i started using the lastest version.

I managed to change the commands to swedish and it seems to work although sometimes when I connect from telnet it doesnt like swedish letters едц. i guess the client that sends it to the mudserver does something with it and therefore it is not recognized.

is there somway of getting the server understand едц in ISO format instead of having to force the client to UTF-8?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Getting Started All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: