The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Rom Code, coverting to Dawn code

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Migration/Porting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kedanna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Rom Code, coverting to Dawn code Reply with quote

Hello. I've been trying for a while now to find someone that knows to convert rom codes into dawn codes. People keep telling me its not to hard snice Dawn was based on RoM, but no one really seems to know how to do it. Can anyone help?[/dawn]

Hera

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Rom to Dot Conversion Reply with quote

There's a post about converting Rom Snippets into ones that will work for Dawn:

http://forums.dawnoftime.org/viewtopic.php?t=1158&highlight=rom

Hope that helps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ixliam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard if you have a good grasp of DOT and coding in general. You will end up rewriting most of the routine, but it is for the most part just changing the commands/syntax around.

Ixliam

Kedanna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Sooo.... Reply with quote

Okay I looked over that topic. So do I need to rewrite all the code, or just replace the old char [MAX_STRING_LENGTH]; with char [MSL]; stuff? Embarassed

patories

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on how the code was writtten, start with the ones that Daos gave you, and then hack it as you get error codes. Eventually you will be able to get it up with a few warnings but stable. then you can iron out the warnings.

Imp of Shattered Illusions--Talislanta RPG
Karthos.genesismuds.com 1381

Novice Developer for KDAV Systems

"So you're saying I put down my sword and you put down your rock and we kill eachother like civilized men?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ixliam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most common ones will be the MAX_STRING_LENGTH/MSL type, converting print commands (print("blah blah/n/r",ch) to println->ch("blah blah"), etc. There may be some changing of particular function calls, such as if the syntax of move/look may be different than how ROM handles it. I haven't done any ROM snippet conversions in some time since most of my code I wrote for DOT, but from what I remember that should cover most things. If it is an extensive snippet or deals with spells/skills, it will be a bit more difficult.

Ixliam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Migration/Porting All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: