The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

It's Genetic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTrene

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: It's Genetic Reply with quote

I'm curious if genetics is something anyone would be interesting in working on. Without going too far into detail, since I'm not a science major, I'd be looking for a way to set traits that a mob could pass down to its progeny.

Initially, I was looking to test it with horses, since this would open up a the opportunity for players to be breeders in my game, which I'd like to think would be a drawing point for some of the more RP intense.

What do those of you who code think? I ask because I have to convince my coding team that it's a worthwhile project.

Note, too, that once you get it set on horses, you'd be able to impliment it on anything that breeds.

No matter if you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Corwin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that sounds like a very interesting concept for the game. It might be fun to create an area in which various species run around and interact with each other and reproduce semi-spontaneously with others of the same type. I personally would enjoy visiting the area to see how the ecosystem is evolving and progressing. You would get to see which traits are naturally the strongest.

I think that implementing breeding in the first place would be harder than allowing some traits to be passed onto the kids. A breeding function would need to know who the parents are anyway.

Good luck with a great idea!

DTrene

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

One concept as for the evolution of an area was the involvment of the adventurers.

If the adventurers are slaughtering the weak ogres, for instance, then only the strong ogres are surviving enough to breed, which means they will be passing on the stronger traits. Before too long, there are no weak ogres. It would make for a truly dynamic world.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Scrye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Breeding, etc. Reply with quote

Wow, what an awesome idea! I would LOVE to see that implemented!
Just imagine the possibilities! It's gotta be possible. Anything is possible. But it might be "almost" impossible. *snicker* It'd rock, though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShadowDancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't think it would be too hard to implement. Add a few variables to the mob or char data structure for traits then use those when the room resets. For your ogre example, when you want to pop another ogre, have the system choose a male and female ogre, get the average of their traits and add a random mutation modifier.

Of course, you would have to change the room reset code as it currently doesn't take into account mobs already existing as far as I know. If you wanted to, you could have the new mob start as an infant then grow over time with it's strength and XP rewards increasing. This would allow low and high level PCs to fight in the same places.

You could then have the oldest mobs die off so you don't overpopulate an area.

If you wanted to go the whole hog, you could have it so that areas don't repop unless there are mobs available to repop it. Carrying on from there, you could have mob populations that migrate to areas that have been farmed to repop them... but I'm not even going to begin thinking about the code for that one...

DTrene

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm just getting into programming, so I'm gonna start working with it as a pet project.

I have some other ideas I want to work with, so I'm gonna look at focusing on them too.

OhGoodShepherd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious necro-thread posting here, sorry.

Did anyone ever explore this idea further? Anyone have ideas or desires to resuscitate it? I'd love to explore something similar in my MUD (pre-alpha, at best) as genetic mutation and the passage of time are major parts of my story telling. It would be amazing to see what a few (hundred!) generations of breeding and reproducing could to do mobs - adding it to my list of ideas to explore - anyone have thoughts, ideas or experiences with this kind of thing?

Daos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhGoodShepherd wrote:
Serious necro-thread posting here, sorry.

Did anyone ever explore this idea further? Anyone have ideas or desires to resuscitate it? I'd love to explore something similar in my MUD (pre-alpha, at best) as genetic mutation and the passage of time are major parts of my story telling. It would be amazing to see what a few (hundred!) generations of breeding and reproducing could to do mobs - adding it to my list of ideas to explore - anyone have thoughts, ideas or experiences with this kind of thing?

Rather see a necro-post than a bot Smile I don't believe this has been really explored with any great depth other than some loose talk and scratching the surface of it. If I can be tossed some ideas, I'd be happy to explore any potential development for it.

http://www.dawnoftime.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Coding All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: