The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

being of light
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » 1.69r typos and mobprog bugs fixed in the upcoming release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pasm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: being of light Reply with quote

Hi i seem to have trouble wih mud school .. whenever ppl take the mud school they get like 10 beings of light surrounding them telling em the same thing ... modem users could be flooded by that... is this a known bug ?

Anyway.. need a solution to this ( unmodified 1.69q )

Sarolite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this same problem, but have not bothered to fix it yet, not until I can change the whole mudschool to reflect our changes. Anyway, the way the being works, is that one stands in the center and loads others. If you finish one set of lessons, you end up back at the center where this mob will load more.

This is not tested, because as I said above, I haven't gotten around to this. However, I have looked at the progs and I think this should work:

Add this:
Code:
if players == 1
if clones > 1
mob load [i]UnseenMobile[/i]
mob inroom mob vforce [i]UnseenMobile[/i] mob call [i]NewProg[/i] $n
mob purge $i
endif
endif

as the last if check on prog 7302.

What this will do, is first check if the total of players equal to 1. (If there are two players each with a being, this will not trigger. Thus, multiple noobs would not disrupt the lesson for any of them.) If it is only one person in the room, it then checks if there is more than one being of light in the room. If there are two or more, it purges itself. Now, if this is done simultaneously, that would leave the noob without a being of light. However, an unseen mobile would be loaded (note, you have to create those enclosed in the italics tags), and a prog on this unseen mobile would be triggered.

A prog you'll have to create will be this:
Code:
if mobhere 7333
else
if char == 1
mob call 7426 $n
endif
endif

If there is already a being of light (the multiple beings did not purge themselves simultaneously, but instead one purged itself then the other found that it was not cloned), it will halt. If there is not a being of light, and there is one person in the room, it will call this prog:

Code:
** load a kalahn when the player enters an advanced lesson
mob mload 7333
mob inroom mob vforce 7333 mob call 7414 $n
mob inroom mob vforce 7333 mob call 7302 $n
mob letpass

That's the prog that the mobile in the center room uses to load the mobile in the first place.

Try it, let me know if it worked, because I'm interested in knowing myself. Cool Don't see why it wouldn't, but I don't pretend to know all. If it doesn't, I can give it another try. Smile

Note, I'm not clear on the use of endifs for DoT, I think I have been told it is different than on Rom. If someone else could fill that part in, I'd appreciate it. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pasm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All thos codes are put in using gameedit ?

Sarolite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shake* Using mpedit (mob program edit). The first is just an addition to an existing one, so you would mpedit that number and add it at the end. The second is a new prog, so you would mpedit create 7433 (the next available vnum in the mud school area if it's not been edited). The third is an already existing prog that I was just showing so explain my logic. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sarolite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oopsie, change

Code:
if char == 1

to

Code:
 if players == 1

ganieda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe i've noticed this in a couple mprog codes you've posted, sarolite...
Code:
if mobhere 7333
else
if char == 1
you can just do
Code:
if !mobhere 7333
which cuts down on the code.

Sarolite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, knew I was missing something. Smile

Soukyan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So call me stupid, but could you explain that fix a bit more? The mprog that you create (vnum 7433) should be attached to what mobile? Are the "UnseenMobile" and "NewProg" actual values that I should be filling in based on my setup? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

~Soukyan

Pasm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's the deal, i never edited anything on this mud, so i need ABC help aswell, i tried what you said but i didnt quite dare... afraid i'd screw it all up, anyway, in the quiz ( advanced school, 1:st question) room 32 (!!!!) being's of light appears askin the same question .... 31 morwe then you need in that room!!

Sarolite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unseen mobile and newprog are new things you will need to create. The mobile actually could be another unseen mobile from the mud school that you attach this new prog to, now that I think of it though. You will have to see what the next available vnum is in the area to make new things.

Hmmm, tell you what. I think it would be beneficial to learn to do mprogs (or hire people who can) for your mud, and I will post a copy of my builder's guide when I've completed it. For the moment, I know this is annoying, so I'll go take a crack at it on my mud and post it for downloading. I'll come back with a URL once it's up. Smile

Sarolite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the unseen mobile thing was off the top of my head so that you wouldn't have both mobiles purge themselves simultaneously, leaving the noob with 0 beings instead of too many. In adding to the progs and testing, I found that this isn't an issue. It'll process one and then the other. Thus, only thing that needs to be added is this (it is tested this time, and works on my mud):

Code:
if players == 1
if clones == 1
mob purge self
endif
endif

For those who can't handle mprogs, you can download the edited area here:

http://www.aloreth.com/downloads/mudschoo.are

Last edited by Sarolite on Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are having this many problems with the mudschool mobprogs, why not go ahead and create your own mudschool via OLC? Following the completion of the mud-school, just go into gameedit and set startirc & starttelnet values to the starting room vnum of the mud-school.

- Daos

RtS_Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, this problem is sometimes bothersome when you have 5-10 hordes of beings of light following one helpless newbie being spammed.
I solved the problem (only 2 beings of light will follow any newbie) temporarily by adding in the trigger ACT disappears to one of the already existence mobprogs.
I forget which it was in specific, but go to mudschool and mplist. there should be something titled purge a kal or something like that.
Remember, theres two different beings of light, advanced and beginner

Goblin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might even take mud school out of my mud. not sure one is really needed. the majority of ppl know how to play and those that dont pick it up easily - i find that alot of them bypass the school.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sarolite

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like the mud school, and I think it's quite useful. There are a lot of things that are Dawn-specific, even if your players generally come fronm other muds. Perhaps you should make a tunnel-like mud introduction zone, with at least basic commands and instructions to read basic rules help files. Smile

Skye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you for posting the fixed mudschool code. until I get a clue about what I am doing It is very helpful. And I also love the mud school it beats the heck out of the stock rom schools.

Goblin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

um well we have the new version and its still got the multiple guides in newbie school.

anyone have a fix that is easily understandable (ie where the code goes exactly) ?

thx

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kalahn
Codebase Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say the new version, have you got the mudschool area that comes with dawn 1.69r?

- Kal

Goblin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it particullary ends up having 16 or so beings of light especially in the advanced school.

version 1.69r

Sarolite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in the download of this area with my fix, I edited the address in the original post. I could have sworn I had done it already, but it was called to my attention that it was in fact a broken link. Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » 1.69r typos and mobprog bugs fixed in the upcoming release All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: