The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Retirement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Retirement Reply with quote

Greetings -

This announcement is to inform the staff and player community of my retirement on August 21st, 2008 from MUD development. That date will mark 8 yrs since the official launch of the MUD. I must say that through every good & bad situation on the MUD in the last 8 years, it has been overall a wonderful and growing experience. I have enjoyed the people that have played on the MUD, and all the talented individuals I have worked with, past & present.

First for those that don't know much of me, my name is Marc Garrett and I originally started with MUDs in August of 1999 on the original Dawn of Time MUD where I met my mentor & programming guru Kalahn. I would have never known about MUDs or "mudding" if it weren't for my friend Brian Tripp aka Krivlarik. After less than a year on Dawn, Kalahn had planned on retiring and there were a lot of players that felt displaced. I spoke to Kalahn about developing after he closed Dawn in the beginning of May 2000, and we both opened DS that same month with several people of who opted to join in on the project in July & August. Finally, the MUD opened to the public on September 23, 2000 as it was ready for active gameplay.

Why the retirement? It simply is time. After 8 years of dedicating myself to a MUD that has its fair share of ups and downs, it is time for me to move on to other endeavors. Additionally, I work as a life insurance agent and underwriter for two companies now (Lincoln Heritage & Senior Life Insurance Co.) With my time extremely limited, I simply don't have the ability to devout myself to the MUD or development.

Is the MUD shutting down?
No the MUD will not be shutting down. The MUD engine is self sustaining and doesn't require a coder to constantly maintain its physical integrity. Malaana will be lead person in charge of things. If there is a technical issue that arises, I will still be available to fix any problems.

Will the source code be released publically? I have had intentions of releasing the v3 source by 2010, but the conditions must be in compliance with the Dawn EULA prior to public release. I will take applications through the messaging system on these forums, but I am not making any guarantees of acceptance.

Will you still be available on the Dawn forums?
Yes. I will try to make myself available to answer any questions at least once a week. I will not however make myself available for hire or work.

With this said, like me or dislike me - I do appreciate everyone all the same for the time they devoted to this site as staff or player and do wish everyone the very best. I especially give a special thanks to Kalahn for his tutelage throughout the last 8 years and dedication to Dawn he has exhibited in the last 10 to 11 years.

Best Regards -

Marc Garrett aka Daos

http://www.dawnoftime.org
Ramuh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, it's been fun Big D. You've helped me a bunch and I'd like to think that in some small way I've helped DS (through RP mostly lol). I realize you'll still be around a bit but your omnipresence will be missed. Enjoy your retirement and if you have to scratch that "itch" to come out of retirement then more power to ya.
Ramuh

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vartan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be missed, Daos. A lot of what I know about the Dawn codebase comes from talks with you, and your assistance to me, and countless others, on this forum was, and still is, a great thing. Thanks for everything, I'm sure the community will miss you!

Rick (Valafar on Twist of Fate)

Deisel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodnod. You have been a great help to me in my learning process of mud building/coding. I will miss your blunt, yet affective posts. Razz

I wish you the best in your future endeavours man. Smile

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
Douglas Adams
ghen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Is darking suns gone? Reply with quote

Has you mud fully shut down i seem to be unable to log on to it or the web site.

Daos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is darking suns gone? Reply with quote

ghen wrote:
Has you mud fully shut down i seem to be unable to log on to it or the web site.

No, I'm just installing a new box for the DS staff which will work as a dedicated MUD server since the other box has met the end of its life.

Ramuh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE! Been checking here and there and wondering if it was shut down. Good to know DS isn't going anywhere. Post an update when it's up and running??

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramuh wrote:
NICE! Been checking here and there and wondering if it was shut down. Good to know DS isn't going anywhere. Post an update when it's up and running??

DS is officially back up and running.

host: darkeningsun.org or 193.150.255.204
port: 5678
web: http://darkeningsun.org
forum: http://forum.darkeningsun.org

Archiel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishing you the best, Daos!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Fireside Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: