The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Suddenly can't start up my MUD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Configuration/Online Editing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowGazer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Suddenly can't start up my MUD Reply with quote

When starting up my MUD after a crash, I get this message at the end of the startup process:

Code:
:: switching to daemon mode (background running process)
:: The mud is now running in the background, process id = 11418.
Mud failed to complete the startup process
The startup process was terminated by load_mobiles_NAFF()
With a message of: duplicate vnum
The last bug text in the log reads:
load_mobiles_NAFF(): vnum 4300 duplicated.
This may or may not be related to why the mud didn't complete starting up.

so, I wanted to get a log of this, so I ran the startup with the -f switch and this is the log it gave me:

Code:
:: [*****] FILE: area/area0.are LINE: 23
:: [*****] BUG: load_mobiles_NAFF(): vnum 4300 duplicated.
:: with the hound's `#`Rfiery red`^ head (six headed dark hound) from kennels.are

Can someone help me fix this error? I'm not really sure what to do, as this just all of a sudden happened, it wasn't something myself or one of my staff did, we were working on things outside the game at the time the mud crashed.[/code]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
derek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your errors are telling you that there are (at least) two mobs with the same vnum, one located in area0.are and one in kennels.are. open both of those files up and see if you've got a duplicate file, two seperate files which contain overlapping vnums, or just that one mob who's vnum is in error.

it's a wild guess, but i wouldn't be surprised if someone was working on a new area (named area0.are by default) and at some point down the line renamed the file to kennels.are. might have gotten the dupe that way.

regardless, if it's a dupe file, delete the one you don't want and remove the listing from area list text file. if they are different areas with overlapping vnums, you can use the offset field at the top of one of the text files to change the vnums for that area. (offset 10000 would move all the vnums to the 14300 range, for instance.) if it's just one mob that's the issue, change it's vnum in the .are file.

if you do use the offset route, move the one with the fewest outside links attached to it, as they will probably need redone. also, be mindful of what you have max vnum set to in gameedit. you can set max vnum as large as you need it to be (within reason, anyway. 2 or 4 million, depending on whether max vnum is a signed or unsigned integer. don't recall off the top of my head.

ShadowGazer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it looks like a duplicate mob in both files. How do I go about changing the vnum in the are file? I'm a complete noob when it comes to editing files like this, so any help would be good.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
derek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just edit and give it an unused vnum, no big deal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Configuration/Online Editing All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: