The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Spell Learning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rixthia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Spell Learning Reply with quote

As stated elsewhere, I am a nublet to coding. I understand building, mprogs, and such, but not code. Once it starts the { } and tabs, I'm lost as a chicken with its head cut off. BUT, I'm trying to do this for my students (I'm their music teacher), so I'd appreciate any help. (I am finally understanding how to move around in and manipulate my unix shell I'm on.)

I've created a few "jobs" (classes) using classedit create. The "Soldier" class (Warrior, non-fantasy) works fine. "Student", "Doctor", "Scientist", "Musician"... not so much. As you can guess, I started off trying to just rename the class. Renamed Mage -> Scientist (both manipulate chemicals and elements), but in doing so the Scientist no longer had any skills.

So I used class scientist abjuration x x x and the rest of the realms to add them to the class. I then created a Scientist char WITH the realms learned. Alas, on leveling, no spells were gained (went to level 70).

I've come up with 3 options, but I don't know which is most feasible for my limited knowledge.

1) Whatever is keeping Scientist from learning the spells at level up. Which I'm guessing is from http://www.forums.dawnoftime.org/viewtopic.php?t=176

2) Add 1 class with whatever the spell issue is for all the classes and add all the realms/communes/etc. Something similar to http://www.forums.dawnoftime.org/viewtopic.php?t=1061

3) Add a vendor with scrolls to study and learn the spells that way provided they have the proper realms learned from class <class> <realm> x x x

(Or a 4th of combining 2 and 3?)
Input?

Thank you.

rixthia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I've tried creating a scroll and using study. This did not work. Even at level 80 and with 100% in the skills needed.

I then tried teach. The character cannot grasp the spell and never will.

I then tried just giving the class the spell. They have it, but they cannot cast it because it is not usable BY that class. I did set sp_info to M just like in the classedit of Mage.

That tells me it is something in the code probably where it checks the classname. As a nublet, I'm reading the code and trying to understand it, but I also know this is something spread out over many tables with many lines.

Help would be appreciated as for where I'm needing to look and for what to alter. I "think" I can figure out what to alter, if I could just understand what I'm looking "for" that is preventing the scientist from using the spell.

Thanks!

One last thought:

$ find /directory address -type f -exec sed -i 's/class1/class2/g' {} \;

Would this break things? Like using 's/mage/scientist/g'?

rixthia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using

find dot/src -type f -exec sed -i 's/\<mage\>/scientist/g' {} \;

for mage, MAGE, and both in src and system worked.

Scientists are now learning spells properly through leveling. The only issue remaining now is that "study" and "teach" keep failing.

Teach gives the following "After you started the lesson, you realized your student is unable to grasp theconcepts to learn this spell, and it is very apparent they never will."

Daos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rixthia wrote:
Using

find dot/src -type f -exec sed -i 's/\<mage\>/scientist/g' {} \;

for mage, MAGE, and both in src and system worked.

Scientists are now learning spells properly through leveling. The only issue remaining now is that "study" and "teach" keep failing.

Teach gives the following "After you started the lesson, you realized your student is unable to grasp theconcepts to learn this spell, and it is very apparent they never will."

The great thing about the Dawn codebase is really requires very little to no understanding of code to take full advantage of its features. Most of your issues are actually comprised of simple edits through the spell editor (sedit); and OLC object item types "scroll". All you really need to do is sedit <name of spell> - and see what the learning flags are set to; this will give you all the answers as to why or why not a student is or isn't learning a spell through teaching.

http://www.dawnoftime.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Coding All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: