The Dawn Of Time
The Official Forums for the Dawn Of Time Mud Codebase

Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Dawn Of Time Forum Index Goto the Official Dawn Website

Who is around?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oreant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daos wrote:
What's your host & port - I may drop in just to say hi =) Have to love nostalgia!

I feel like it'd be showing off a car sitting on the block while I'm yanking stuff in and out. But feel free to peek in, but might be dull. We RP on the side and combat mobs are mostly spawned for testing.
TatteredLandsMud.org : 2626
I'm on around this time each day and float about for several hours as Orion even if I have a mort RPing or testing. Always pretty sparse since we've only brought in a few extras to help with brainstorming and just a few builders right now.

And good luck with that, MadMac Smile
I have several codebases I keep on hand when I want to investigate "How did they deal with this problem?" or "What other ways is this done?"
Part of me is tempted to build in C++ wrappers for SQL and do way too much reengineering.

MadMac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have several codebases I keep on hand when I want to investigate "How did they deal with this problem?" or "What other ways is this done?"

I was, and pretty much still am the exact same way. Heck, figuring out how to get new and interesting things into DoT (and 90% of the time break it horribly) was how I began learning C and C++ beyond "Hello world" levels.

Good to see someone still plugging away with DoT, back in the day there wasn't much that could compete with it as far as a clean, stable base to create your game on. Especially if you were a heathen like myself and actually liked working in the windows environment.

Throw in an amazingly helpful community, and it was a nobrainer, imho. (Yeah, I'm looking right at you when I say that, Daos. Wink )

Oreant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal definitely believes in cleanliness in the code, which I am thankful for. I use Cygwin on my Windows PC, but then the server I run on is Linux based. The code has held up well to my butchering surgeries. I really need to churn more time in it, but I code at work (with a lot more duct tape) and so the brain gets numb from too much coding.

Even though I've come in well after DoT's heyday, there is still a lot of great posts to pour through on here. And even a few veterans still lurk around and help out.

Definitely encourages me to push this past the hobby stage and actually get it a stage of more than testing.

Drazhad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I looked through the codebase as a head of balance and as a realm builder, it was great to have all the comments in the code as to what each thing did and what was happening. The flags and variables are also well written so it's easy to follow.

Daos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of demand, I have reopened the project. Using VS2013 at the moment. Really a lot of fun to go through a lot of my old work, work through some of the deprecation errors, configuring the pre-processor stuff, etc etc. If there is anyone who may be interested in partaking in a reboot, you can contact the official facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Darkening-Sun-MUD-official-group/264405423421?fref=nf

http://www.dawnoftime.org
Drazhad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have jumped back on board Darkening Sun as an immortal.

MadMac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see Darkening Sun is back. Daos, I think I remember you mentioning trying your hand at writing an isometric client a while back. Was curious if that was still in your plans.

Before the switch to CoffeeMud I had hacked Kavir's protocol snippet ( http://www.mudconnect.com/SMF/index.php?topic=74454.0 ) into DoT and had some success creating GUIs within Mushclient and Mudlet to enhance the players gameplay experience, even going as far as creating a GUI based Mud client in Gamemaker Studio with hopes of creating a unified multi-platform experience for players.

Anyways, was just curious if you were still tinkering with building a client and how it was coming.

Daos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadMac wrote:
Great to see Darkening Sun is back. Daos, I think I remember you mentioning trying your hand at writing an isometric client a while back. Was curious if that was still in your plans.

Before the switch to CoffeeMud I had hacked Kavir's protocol snippet ( http://www.mudconnect.com/SMF/index.php?topic=74454.0 ) into DoT and had some success creating GUIs within Mushclient and Mudlet to enhance the players gameplay experience, even going as far as creating a GUI based Mud client in Gamemaker Studio with hopes of creating a unified multi-platform experience for players.

Anyways, was just curious if you were still tinkering with building a client and how it was coming.

Hiya,

Sorry for the delay in response. I was about 30% done with the isometric client; I honestly think it was nothing more than a hobbyist time sync to be truthful. I have seen the work by Kavir and he has always been a very talented "go getter" in development. Though his implementation of MXP in his client is quite flawed. I had considered downloading the open source and writing various improvements to it, but time hasn't been much of a commodity for me.

Thank you in regards to your compliment about DS being back online. I had really questioned on whether or not I would reopen the project, but my FB page was flooded with many requests that I just couldn't ignore. You are welcome to come by anytime to visit and chat with me.

Our domain name isn't set up yet, so I am using gf.nihplod.com as the host & port 5678 for connectivity.

Be safe and happy coding!

ps. I need to start cleaning these forums

http://www.dawnoftime.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dawn Of Time Forum Index » Fireside Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: